Guidelines for using the plagiarism detection tool
Uniarts Helsinki uses a plagiarism detection tool called Turnitin to check the written components of students’ master’s and doctoral thesis projects.
The supervision process for a master’s thesis project includes checking the originality of the thesis or the written component of the thesis project by using the Turnitin system. New Turnitin guidelines will be available soon.
Electronic plagiarism prevention means detecting similarities in previous student works, material available on the internet and material that has been previously published in the Turnitin database.
Instructions for using Turnitin
You will be sent an invitation by email to start using the Turnitin system. Log in to Turnitin via the Artsi Tools menu.
- After logging in, open the class portfolio (e.g. your thesis seminar) by clicking the name of the class on your student homepage.
- Find the assignment (e.g. submission of a completed thesis) created by your supervisor in the class portfolio.
- Click the Send button next to the assignment and submit your work.
- The submission page will open. Enter the title of your work. Select “Choose from this computer” to pick a file that you have saved on your computer. Remember that you need to submit your thesis project in the system in PDF format!
- Make sure that all the information that you have entered is correct. Confirm that you want to submit your work by clicking the Confirm button. Once you have confirmed the submission, you will see your digital receipt. Turnitin will also email you a copy of the receipt.
- If you want to view your submitted work, click on “Go to portfolio”.
- Inform your supervisor or teacher by email that you have submitted your work in the system.
- Different degree programmes may have different practices for how submitted texts are processed. Your supervisor or teacher may provide guidance on your work in the Turnitin system, or they may check the originality report and then contact you by email and approve your work, ask for additional information or provide further instructions on how to edit the text. You can also view the originality report yourself if your supervisor has given you rights to do so. Click the originality report icon on the right side of the assignment. It usually takes time to create the originality report, so be patient.
- When the supervisor or teacher has approved the originality report, you can submit your work for examination according to your department’s instructions.
You can test out Turnitin and self-check your text.
Follow these instructions:
- Log in to Turnitin via the Artsi Tools menu.
- Enter this data to enrol in a class:
- Class ID: 27271588
- Password: omatoimisuus
- You can submit a paper by clicking the “Submit” button in the assignment inbox and view your submitted paper in the section “View”.