Student’s accidents and insurances

Information on insurance coverage for students. Uniarts Helsinki has insured its students against accidents related to their studies.  

Statutory workers’ compensation insurance

You are insured against accidents during practical studies when you are registered as attending (present) and you are:  

  • a degree student  
  • an exchange student  
  • an Open University student (no registration as attending required)  
  • a continuing student  

In which teaching situations are you insured?

The insurance covers:

  • practical teaching at an educational institution  
  • practical teaching during a student exchange  
  • unpaid practical work practice in a workplace outside the educational institution   

The insurance does NOT cover:

  • paid work practice. In this case, you are covered by the employer’s accident insurance.  
  • non-practical teaching. For example, theoretical instruction, breaks and school trips are not covered by the insurance.  

As the statutory accident insurance of Uniarts Helsinki does not cover all the everyday circumstances of the student, it is also a good idea to take out personal insurance.  

What is an accident?

An accident is a sudden, external incident causing bodily harm to a person unintentionally. Typical accidents include tripping, slipping or hurting oneself with an object.  

What to do in the event of an accident

Contact the accident contact person:

The accident contact person will provide you with an insurance certificate and instructions on seeking treatment. The insurance certificate states that, as a student of Uniarts Helsinki, you are insured with statutory accident insurance. When you present the insurance certificate, you will not have to pay medical treatment costs in the event of an accident – the treatment provider will invoice the insurance company.  
As soon as possible after a visiting a physician, contact the accident contact person to submit an accident report. Include any receipts, such as for any medicines you have purchased.  

What to do if you suffer a student accident on a weekend or in the evening, or if you cannot contact the accident contact person

If you suffer an accident on a weekend or in the evenings, or if the nature of the accident requires urgent treatment, take your student card and go directly to the nearest physician on call (Haartman Hospital (Helsinki), Mehiläinen, Terveystalo, etc.). Explain that you are a student at Uniarts Helsinki and that this is a student accident.   

If you need a taxi to get to a place of treatment, you can get a taxi card from TeaK’s info (Sörnäinen campus).

If the accident is serious and requires an ambulance, call the general emergency number 112 – paramedics will take you to a health centre or an emergency clinic at the hospital.  

If you do not have an accident but, for example, experience sudden illness, go to the nearest municipal on-call treatment location, such as:  

  • Helsinki – Haartman Hospital, Haartmaninkatu 4 (Building 12), tel. 116 117 Medical Helpline  
  • Kuopio – KUH Puijo Hospital, Puijonlaaksontie 2 (entrance through door C), tel. 116 117 Medical Helpline  
  • Seinäjoki – Seinäjoki Central Hospital, Koskenalantie 18 (Building Y, 1st floor)   Tel. 116 117 Medical Helpline  

If a student accident occurs in the evening or on a weekend, when you were not able to obtain an insurance certificate from the accident contact person to present to the treatment provider, be prepared to pay the medical expenses yourself. In some cases, you do not have to pay medical expenses, but will instead receive an insurance certificate request from the treatment provider. Take the request to the accident contact person as soon as possible.  
As soon as possible after treatment, contact the accident contact person to file an accident report. Include any payment receipts, such as for medical expenses, medicines and travel expenses.  

What to do if you receive a referral from a physician for follow-up treatment

If your physician has ordered follow-up treatment, such as an MRI scan, wait for your case to be processed and you will receive a payment commitment from the insurance company.  

Damage to property in connection with an accident

The accident insurance covers, for example, eyeglasses used by the injured person that were broken in connection with an accident. A precondition for paying compensation is that the accident has caused some kind of bodily harm.  

What to do if the insurance company rejects your accident claim

The insurance company may reject your accident claim, in which case you may be responsible for paying the treatment costs retroactively. If an insurance claim is rejected, the injured person may appeal the decision to the insurance company.  

Travel insurance

Degree students and exchange students who have registered as attending (present) have a continuous travel insurance policy for domestic and foreign trips less than 6 months according to the curriculum. The insurance is valid 24 hours a day during travel.  

The insurance covers:

  • The costs of treating illness and accidents occurring during travel without a ceiling (the reimbursement period for illness occurring during travel is 90 days. Medical expenses are reimbursed for a maximum of 90 days after the first appointment with a physician.)  
  • Trip cancellation, delay and interruption costs.  
    – Compensation is paid for the cancellation of a trip when the cancellation is due to the death, serious injury or sudden, unexpected, serious illness of the insured, thus preventing travel.  
    – Compensation will be paid for any travel delays if the insured does not make it on time to the departure point of their plane, ship, train or bus in accordance with their original travel plan.  
    – A trip interruption is when an ongoing trip is changed because the insured is forced to undergo hospital treatment or return to their place of origin (repatriation), deviating from the original itinerary. Compensation is paid for the interruption of a trip when the interruption is due to the death, serious injury or sudden, unexpected, serious illness of the insured, thus preventing travel.  
  • Travel liability and legal expense insurance for private persons.
  •  Luggage is insured up to 1000 euros per person. If the value of the luggage exceeds 1000 euros, such as musical instruments, it is good to make additional insurance for them.

No compensation will be paid for damages caused by war or armed conflict.  

A list of high risk/war risk areas can be found at High-risk and other sports are also not covered by the travel insurance.  

The claimant shall bear the costs arising from the event insured prior to receiving the decision on compensation. Upon request, the insurance company must be provided with a medical report on the illness or injury, original receipts of expenses and other evidence necessary to establish the insurance company’s liability.  

What should I do if I fall ill during my study trip?

  Contact the person responsible for the trip and report the illness. Go to the nearest medical facility. Pay the medical expenses and any medications, and save the receipts. The claim for compensation is filed with the insurance company afterwards. The person responsible for the trip will assist you in filing the claim.  

Private insurance policies for foreign students

As a student, you must personally cover the costs if you become ill in Finland. In order to get a residence permit, you must take out private insurance that will cover your medical and drug expenses. The insurance you need depends on the duration of your studies in Finland If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), you will not need to take out any insurance.  

If P&C Insurance Company Ltd.

Workers’ compensation insurance (students) – policy number SP1056748  
Travel insurance (students) – policy number SP2944874