New student

Important instructions for new students who are starting their Bachelor's or Master's degree. 

Before you start your studies 

Take care of these things well in advance and you will be ready to start your studies smoothly.

International students

Students arriving from non-EU/EEA countries: Apply for a residence permit and make sure you have a valid insurance. The residence permit application process can take several months. EU/EEA citizens: Make sure you have the European Health Insurance Card and register with the Finnish authorities no later than three months after arrival.

Schedule and orientation studies

Find out when your studies begin.

After your studies have started 

Check list of things you need to do when you have started your studies.

Register your personal data in the Population Information System

Remember to send your Finnish personal identity code as an encrypted message also to Student Services when you receive it. If you are having trouble sending an encrypted message, we can advise you. Never send sensitive information without an encrypted connection. 

Do you have any questions about starting your studies?

You can contact the Admissions Office in general questions.

Other useful University services