PSPs are compiled based on the curriculum and degree structure
PSPs are a central tool for planning your studies, goals and specialisation areas.
The curriculum and degree structure provide the framework and foundation for your PSP. The degree structure determines what studies are mandatory for you, what study units are elective i.e. studies between which you may choose, and what is the scope of optional studies in your degree. You can read the curriculum and degree structure in the Study Guide.
Compile your PSP at the beginning of your studies
You compile your first PSP at the beginning of your studies, and you will update your PSP on a yearly basis. Your academy will give you more detailed information on how and when you should compile and update your PSP.
PSPs are compiled with consideration to the normative durations and scopes for studies
PSPs are compiled separately for bachelor’s and master’s degrees. When compiling your PSP, you need to consider the academy-specific normative duration of studies leading to a degree as well as the scope of the degree.
Normative durations of studies for degrees:
- the normative duration of studies leading to a bachelor’s degree is 3 years at the Sibelius Academy and Theatre Academy and 3.5 years at the Academy of Fine Arts
- the normative duration of studies leading to a master’s degree is 2 years at the Theatre Academy and Academy of Fine Arts and either 2 or 2.5 years at the Sibelius Academy, depending on the target degree
Scopes of degrees:
- the scope of a bachelor’s degree is 180 credits at the Sibelius Academy and Theatre Academy, and 210 credits at the Academy of Fine Arts
- the scope of a master’s degree is 120 credits at the Theatre Academy and Academy of Fine Arts, and either 120 or 150 credits at the Sibelius Academy, depending on the target degree
In connection with your PSP guidance, you will receive information on how you will be able to complete 60 credits of studies within an academic year and your whole degree within the normative duration of studies.
Technical instructions for compiling a PSP
You compile your PSP in the student information system Peppi.
In the PSP view of Peppi, you can:
- see what your degree structure looks like and what mandatory and optional study modules and study units are included in it
- edit your PSP and select which elective and optional studies you wish to complete as part of your degree. You can browse the selection of optional studies in the Study Guide.
- register for studies (course units and one-to-one teaching)
- compile a timetable for completing studies and mark possible upcoming periods of absence
- make notes in your PSP and send messages to your PSP advisors
The studies that you have completed during your international exchange period are also added to your PSP.
Support and guidance
You can discuss your goals and plans for studies in PSP discussions with the planning officer or academic PSP advisor.
Approval for the PSP
Once you have compiled your PSP, you will send it for approval to the planning officer and/or the academic PSP advisor via Peppi.